You Learn How to Deal Effectively With Stress
Yes, it’s actually that simple. Learn how to deal with stress effectively and you won’t have to deal with anxiety and depression.
But what if you’re already anxious and depressed?
… Things That Will Help
Don’t Do Things You Hate If You Can Help It
In fact, don’t do anything you don’t want to do. Find another way, negotiate, teach yourself to enjoy whatever it is, compromise if you must, but don’t keep doing something that you really don’t want to do. It’s very stressful.
Get Some Decent Shut-Eye ….Preferably Without Pills
When I hated my job and I was dealing with anxiety and depression I didn’t sleep well. Sometimes I didn’t sleep at all. Not sleeping at all is dangerous. So is regularly not getting enough sleep. It can lead to all sorts of problems.
When you have buffalo running around in your head and you can’t shut them down. Sometimes the only way to get any sleep is to take some meds. But there are downsides… they can give you a weird sleep, make you drowsy the next day and give you a dry mouth the next morning. They are also addictive. Use sleeping pills sparingly and learn some alternative strategies asap.
- Keep your bedroom cool and as dark as possible
- Don’t work late into the night. Put work away at least an hour before bedtime
- Say goodbye to coffee after lunch
- Reduce your alcohol use. It might help you crash at times but it also causes you to wake-up. Alcohol is a depressant so it just adds to depression and anxiety in the end
- Set a routine for going to sleep and waking up
- Stay away from computer screens before bed. If you must use screens at night use f.lux to adjust your screen for night use. It’s a free download
- Relax your body, focus on your breathing and try to clear your head
- … if that doesn’t work, get up and do something relaxing
- If you have problems that are keeping you awake get up and write everything out. Including solutions
Learn to Manage Your Thoughts
Your thoughts have a direct impact on the way you feel. You can’t feel good when you think bad.
Don’t allow thoughts that make you feel angry, sad, depressed or anxious.
Change negative thoughts to thoughts that are kinder and more positive. “I have no friends I’m a loser” can easily change to “I’m grateful for the people in my life. I’ll reach out and work on making new friends.” Ask someone you trust for their ideas. They will see you much more positively.
If the negative thoughts keep coming, distract yourself by doing something that you love and that needs your focus.
Some gentle exercise every day will give you lots of helpful hormones. No excuses …Do It!!
Don’t Sweat What You Can’t Control
You can only control yourself. You will cause yourself a lot of unnecessary anxiety and depression by resisting things you can’t control or aren’t ready to. There is huge peace in accepting what is. You can still work to change what you’re doing. But you will be so much happier if you work towards change from a point of acceptance rather than resistance.
Is there anything in your life that you’re resisting and which is causing you to suffer as a result?
As always if you have any questions, comments, or feedback I’d love to hear from you in the comments below. Your comments help others. They also help this post to rank in Google where people can find it amongst all the online noise. So if this is something you think is valuable please take the time to leave a comment below before you go.